Types of Shoulder Arthritis
Arthritis occurs in nearly 1 out of every 3 adults, leaving their joints stiff and painfully swollen. It is a common condition among the elderly, but it can also appear at any time of life for some people -- even children may be affected.
There are over 100 different variations of arthritic conditions that can affect patients. Let's take a look at some of the types of arthritis that can affect the shoulder, a joint that's responsible for a great deal of movement.
5 Most Common Types of Shoulder Arthritis
- Osteoarthritis: This arthritic condition is a degenerative joint disease, where the cartilage protecting the bone ends wears away. It is the most common chronic joint condition in America, affecting over 33 million people. It occurs because of overuse thanks to aging, sports, or obesity.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Another common chronic condition, rheumatoid arthritis occurs when the body’s own immune system attacks the joint lining. It is the most common form of inflammatory arthritis and the symptoms are usually more severe than in those with osteoarthritis.
- Posttraumatic Arthritis: A form of osteoarthritis, posttraumatic arthritis occurs after a shoulder injury has been sustained. Some common injuries that can trigger this form of arthritis include fractures and shoulder dislocation.
- Rotator Cuff Tear Arthropathy: In patients who have undergone a large rotator cuff tear, the torn cuff may no longer be able to the head of the humerus. When this happens, the humerus may shift and begin to rub against the acromion, thereby damaging the bone and causing arthritis.
- Avascular Necrosis: This condition is defined as the death of bone tissue, due to a disruption in blood flow to the shoulder. Bone cells cannot live without a blood supply, so the shoulder becomes susceptible to arthritis and even collapse.
Arthritis Treatment in Napa and Vacaville
Contact us today to learn more about shoulder arthritis, or to schedule a consultation. You can reach our offices at 707.258.2547 for Napa, and 707.446.6206 for Vacaville. We look forward to hearing from you.