Knee Pain? It could be Runner’s Knee
If you have a throbbing pain around your kneecap, you could have a condition called runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is not specific to runners and can be the result of a variety of reasons like overuse, a direct hit to the knee, weak thigh muscles, or malalignment. Let’s discuss how to identify runner’s knee and the treatment options available.
If you have runner’s knee, you will notice a pain in front of, behind, or around your kneecap. Pain may be felt while you walk, squat, kneel, run, or bend your knee. In some cases you may begin to notice swelling around your knee or a popping or grinding sensation inside of the joint. In order to properly diagnose runner’s knee, you will require a doctor’s exam along with possible X-rays, a CT scan, or MRI.
Runner’s knee will likely improve on its own with the proper at home treatment.
- Make sure you stop doing any activity or sport that is causing you knee pain. Avoid activities like lunging, running, or standing for extra long periods.
- Use ice to decrease swelling or pain.
- A properly placed wrap can provide support and ease pain.
- When sitting or laying down, elevate your leg.
- Have NSAIDs on hand like ibuprofen or naproxen to fight inflammation and swelling.
- As recommended by a physical therapist, stretch and strengthen your quadriceps muscles to provide enhanced stabilization for your knee.
- Arch supports or orthotic inserts for your shoes might assist with the position your feet are in for better alignment.
If you have tried all of these suggestions and still feel knee pain, you may need to see a specialist. In some cases, corticosteroid injections can help with inflammation. If you have a severe case of runner’s knee, you might require surgery to replace or remove damaged cartilage or reposition the knee cap.
Arrange a consultation
If you continue to feel knee pain after you’ve tried these at home treatments, arrange a consultation with NAPA Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics. You can reach us today by calling 707-258-2547. We look forward to assisting you and answering your questions. Let us help you live without knee pain.